INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, February 18, 2010

More on Lent...

I'm going to do what I've been doing these past few years and take on a challenge versus giving anything up. I laugh when friends think that they are helping me when they say "give up coffee" or give up Toast and Jam with your Tea- get real! These are the handful of things keeping me sane and you want me to give these up? I've give up quite a bit since moving here to England, I don't think that it's fair to ask me to give up more.

Think about it...
I've given up my quilters group, my paper crafting group, my water aerobics group and my group of friends I regularly did things with. I've given up my comfortable home in SD for one that is small, compartmentalized, cold and lets not forget to mention that it has major plumbing and electrical issues. I've not stepped foot into a quilt shop since last June nor have I bought quilting fabric since last year and when I say last year I mean May/June 2009! Same goes for scrapbooking supplies- minus adhesive. I've given up attending Scrapbooking crops, card-making workshops, quilting retreats, quilting workshops and quilting classes, I've given up going out for coffee with friends, I've given up taking chef classes, going to school plays and singing recitals. I've given up participating in the State Fair and the big Black Hills Quilters Guild Quilt show I've given up fast food, beer and Pepsi in Lents past and have managed to stay away from them- okay so I have a Pepsi once in a Blue Moon. Do I miss my life back in the states- that's a BIG YES!
I do have to say that living here in England has opened up other avenues of entertainment. I've found other things to occupy my time and other things to look forward to. Meanwhile I still do miss the things I used to do and the people I used to do them with.

So let me be selfish and say that No, I'm not going to give anything up. I'm not perfect, I'm human. I've taken on more personal challenges for this year. Will I make a scrapbook layout about this? You bet I am!

3 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Aww. But you don't have to crop alone, am perfectly confident that there's a group, shop and classes for scrap and card making within a reasonable driving distance. And probably sewing and quilting too, but as you know, so not my line of expertise!
Don't be giving them up, just be moving into different...

Sandie said...

I've decided to host workshops- I'm tired of being the lone paper crafter. As for quilting- same thing goes!

Helen said...

I wish I lived closer.