INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Paying Homage to the Crafters in my Life

For those crafters out there- was there someone who was an early crafting influence in your childhood?

For me I had a couple- My mom who was always making something be it crochet, knitting, stitchery, sewing and even macrame and leather work. My Grammy Lola would crochet the most delicate lace doilies and she sewed. My Grams helped me to make my first patchwork quilt when I was 9 years old. My friend Barbara (whom I met in the 3rd grade) and her amazing oil paintings -I actually own one although it's in storage back in the states (would like to own more- hint hint). Barbara could sew, do needlework and take the most amazing photographs- and she did it all YEARS before I could do such things. My friend Barbara possessed this amazing ability to paint when we were children. I remember sitting in an a painting lesson of hers and being in awe- her mom brought in an instructor after school in their home.

I confess, I can't paint for beans, I've tried, the Lord knows I have tried without much success, LOL! . My watercolors are, well they are nothing to write home about- I do them for my own amusement. Now I can do those 3-d type stencils and add detail to them to make them seem more lifelike, but to draw them out freehand and then paint on the walls? Oh no, I do not begin to pretend to own such talent as to be able to do that. My crocheting- it's okay (insert snickering here). I can make a scarf and even a simple afghan although I prefer to make scarves because they go much quicker :-) Knitting? yeah right! I don't have the patience for knitting. here's a little secret tidbit about myself- I know how to work a weaving loom, and once upon a time I had a small one and I actually made stuff with it :-) Sadly, I sold it after I got married- I really wish that I would have kept it. Embroidery- learned that at an early age, still love to do it to this day. Every once in a while I find the urge to sit down and whip up a project- I've get about a half dozen needlework projects that need me to finish them up and get them mounted and off to the framers.

Artistic influences surround me every day, wrapping me in their endless warmth and love. Shapes, colors, textures and how they flow seem to draw me in like a moth to a flame.

Simply put- I love doors. Doors open up into rooms, so you can create a space have it look a certain way then simply close the door and walk into another room and stylize it a completely different way. My house is like a small art museum, showcasing Art made by myself, my children, my husband and our friends and our extended family. In our living-room you will see oil paintings on the walls that were done by my children's great grandmother- my husbands' Grammy Dorie, floral photographs taken by yours truly. I have some handmade quilts on display on a rack in a corner and in a handmade basket (Longaberger of course) again made by friends or myself. There are many counted cross stitching works that I've had matted and framed that are proudly hung on the walls throughout our home- some made by dear friends and others by yours truly.

Now I suppose you can now understand why I felt so displaced for all those months while in our temporary quarters. Being without ones personal treasures, the things I deem near and dear to my heart had me feeling lost...and now, I'm home again.

No comments: