INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My military life

It's not easy being a military wife. It's reading my e-mails this morning that have put me in a somber mood. The first was from a dear friend whose husband is deployed to Afghanistan who wrote of her husband called her to tell her that their base was under attack. That they were sustaining heavy fire. he was scared for his life. The other being from another military girlfriend who I've known for nearly 20 years who asked us to pray for a friend of hers- her friends husband was killed in that attack on the same base in Afghanistan. He left behind a wife and 5 children and a new grandchild- of whom he probably never got to see in person. Here is the news story on MSNBC if you care to care it- Insurgents attack Bagram Air Field. My Heart is breaking for both of these families.

...meanwhile as I pull myself together after wiping away the tears I remember my duty to the airmen and women living in our dorms at the base. Tonight is Dorm Dinner night, where we have a big sit down meal with the single members of our military community and show them how much we appreciate their service to our great country and that we truly do care about them. As I sit here peeling what seems to be an enormous amount of apples I think about how happy this meal will make them, those that are so far away from home- some for the very first time. It's important to get to know those around you, to show them kindness and let them know that they're aren't alone. I did this last night with the spouses function. Sure it was pottery bingo- but we had a handful of new to our base spouses come to their first ever base spouses group function. It's important to give a warm welcome to those ladies (and men) who stand here on the sidelines waiting for their loved ones to come back to them after being "down range". Many of these military spouses are new to this strange world of acronyms and uniforms not to mention having their husbands or wives working such long or strange hours. Many of our spouses are the farthest away from home as they've ever been, and they feel lonely. I'm here and with the help from a terrific group of ladies to help them through that lonely transition time. We do this through getting out and becoming active in things like dorm dinners, lunch bunch, crafting groups, walking groups and more. If you read my bio you know how truly dedicated I am to the military spouse support system. No military spouse has it easy but we can help to ease their burden by showing that we care.


Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
Mother Teresa

2 comments:

Sheilagh said...

So sad, God Bless them All.

Anonymous said...

They and you are in my thoughts. I just can't imagine... but know you help create so much support and smiles through your efforts! BIG HUGS