INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Art...

...is in the eye of the beholder. Art IS all around us, we just need to know how to interpret it, how to display it and best of all how to enjoy it.

It's funny how most people get so keyed up about "what Art is and what it isn't". Some think that Art is made by someone famous and is either a high priced painting or sculpture on display in a museum. While others look at prints by people such as Andy Warhol, Georgia O'Keeffe and Ansel Adams. I'm here to say that THAT is not true, not by any means! As much as those are lovely to look at, they are not the only kinds of things that are to be considered as art. Art is all around us and I'm here to open your eyes to it.



This past week I went to lunch twice (I know- what does this have to do with art....wait be patient). Each time I was in a different place with different friends. It's funny to see how others interpret design and color and how they put things together. I only realized that I was different with how I saw color and design when I noticed that my sister could not for the life of her pick out clothing from different stores and put them together to make a complete outfit. If she saw something in a store display that she liked, she'd buy the entire outfit- geez what a marketing sucker! Then again I did design store displays just for people like my sister...those that couldn't put an outfit together or more than 2 colors together never mind trying more than 1 print/pattern.



So each set of friends told me basically the same thing- that they are amazed (in a good way) with how I can put things together- colors, textures, patterns not just with clothing but with pottery and things in the home. For me, I look at my house as being my own personal art gallery. Having things on display and from time to time changing around that display. What is a display- depends upon your point of view...it can be something as simple as the valances covering your windows to decorative pillows on the sofa to table runners and linen table clothes. My mother (and I do love her) would keep the same window treatments and pictures up for decades-ugh!!! What a stagnant existence for a room! The word BORING comes to mind. Nothing would ever change in this room, not the placement of furniture, the pictures on the wall nothing. I was the child that drove her crazy with my bi-monthly rearrangement of the furniture in my bedroom. She claimed that I was turning my walls into Swiss Cheese by my constant rearranging the things I had on my walls.

I'm the one who takes longer to put things on display after a move because I'm always working on seeing it in a different light.

I'll be writing more on this topic so stay tuned....

No comments: