INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Breast Cancer affects us all

I just found out this evening that a good friend of mine (that I have known for the past 16 years) has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It's heart breaking news. Her children are the same age as my children. She has 3 daughters. I had a friend die from breast cancer in 2003 shortly before we arrived here in South Dakota. She left behind a daughter the same age as my Hannah and a young son.That same year we had a frien die from Lung Cancer (who had never smoked in his life).My good friend Theresa is doing a walk for Breast Cancer here is the letter she sent to me...

Sandie and Lucien, This year in February, I made a very special commitment. I made a commitment that will be meaningful for so many people beyond myself. Over three days this August, I will travel to Minneaplois and walk 60 miles in the Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk is so much more than just a walk- it will be raising money to support the Susan G. Komen breast Cancer Foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer fund. My personal challenge has already begun. It will culminate when thousands of walkers take the final steps in Minneapolis on August 20th. Over the next three months, I will be spending many, many hours walking in training. To date I have walked 250 miles in training, and will log more that 600 miles while helping to spread the word about breast cancer awareness. I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. I am asking you to make a commitment too. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I will be doing all the walking all you need to do is visit www.the3day.org. Please consider making a donation for a cause that will affect someone you know or love in your lifetime. This is an important event for me. Both my and my husband's grandmothers, and several of David's aunts have lost the battle against breast cancer. I am walking in their honor, and in the hope that one day children never have to worry about losing their mom or grandma to breast cancer. You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer, and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. What is even scarier is that both its cause and mean for its cure remain undiscovered. Currently, one million women in the US have breast cancer, and it has challenged more than 2 million survivors. Increased awareness and education means more survivors. I am taking on a bold challenge to do something that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope that you choose to share in this incredible adventure with me. Please call me or email me if you have any questions or just want to talk. Thanks for your support!Theresa MartenFollow this link to visit my personal web page and help me in my efforts to support The Breast Cancer 3-DayYes

I am pledging money to this awesome cause! And I'll do things here locally to help her reach her goal as well! Cancer affects us all!

No comments: