INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Friday, June 16, 2006

Purge your unused scrapbook items

Being that my Scrapbook Nook is a "nook" in the biggest sense of the word, LOL! I have a very limited amount of space in which to store and display my scrapbooking paraphernalia. I try to go through my stash of papers, embellishments and cardstock on a semi regular basis. Over the past 2 days I've made the biggest purge of supplies ever in my scrapbooking life.

I've come to terms with my scrapbook supply hoarding tendencies and decided to take a huge leap and make my biggest purge ever! Over time our scrapbooking styles change and evolve, it's the natural progression of things. With a market that is ever changing, it's bound to happen. Once upon a time I used fibers like there was no tomorrow. But through my stamping and card making I really got into using ribbon (grosgrain being my #1 all time favorite). I've been using ribbon exclusively for over 2 years now. So with that in mind, I grabbed a 2 gallon Ziploc baggie and filled it full of carded fibers, but wait...there was more that I wanted to purge so I went back for a 2nd 2 gallon Ziploc bag and filled it as well. I'm committed to this so then I work my way over to my cardstock...I started going through my stash of 8½x11 first and I purged the colors that I just do not use. And here's something that I will admit to doing but most others in the scrapbooking world won't...in the beginning I bought scrapbooking papers and cardstock at Wal-mart. Now why on earth would I still have that "stuff" in my scrapbook nook when I made the big switch to using Bazzill 5 years ago? Especially since I was not using it? Because in a monochromatic way it "looked good" in my clear paper holders. This stuff is crap and I'm keeping it because it looks good in a clear container, sheesh!!! So I'm clearing it out to make room for stuff I will actually use! When I sat down and thought about how long I had been dragging this stuff around with me. I could hardly believe that I'd been schlepping it around since 1999...that's along time to drag around products that you just don't use.

A place for everything and everything in it's place is the key to being organized. Now here is something that Lisa Bearnson has said about the way she organizes and keeps her scrapbooking room in order. She used the word Space...
Sort
Purge
Assign a place
Containerize it
Keep up with it Everyday.

And this is what I do, just with a catchy phrase. :-)

No comments: