INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Shop with a plan

Shop with a plan, that's very sound advice...take it from someone who knows! I have to give a chuckle when I see ladies that are shopping for scrapbooking or stamping supplies that run for anything marked down, on sale or worse yet on clearance. This is where a lot of beginner and even the seasoned scrapbookers get sucked into some sort of vortex and all reason flies out the window, LOL! And before they know it, the word "sale" quickly becomes a 4 letter word in their husbands eyes, especially when associated with "scrapbooking". :-D Soon they are spending money on items that they will in all likelihood never use (trust me, I've been there). They are telling themselves that they "could possibly use this in the future". The sad thing is, they most likely will never use those sale or clearance items because something new and improved has replaced them and they want THOSE items now. So what happens to the old items ? They're pushed to the back of the box never to see light again, LOL! And clearance items, just stay away from them! Those are items that you will in all likelihood will never be able to find another one of if you make a layout in the future and find yourself needing another piece of that particular paper or embellishment. If you buy clearance items, my recomndation is to use them right away! That way you will know if you need another of a particular item, chances are that you can still get one.

Sales are not all that they seem to be. Oh I used to be a sale shopper, trust me, I've reformed! I can't begin to tell you how much money (and time) I have wasted on buying up all kinds of printed papers, embellishments and whatnot's that I have never used. What's the point in having a huge stash of supplies if two thirds of it is stuff that you will most likely never use? I'd much rather pay full price for my scrapbooking supplies and come home and use them right away. Okay so there are a few things that I will buy when they are on sale...adhesive, card-stock (I make a list of which colors I need and stick to the list) and plain vellum, other than that forget it!

Shop with a plan...have those pictures with you when you are searching for those "perfect" papers, card-stock and embellishments for that layout. Draw up a list of thing that you are looking for, maybe even bring along a basic sketch of what you would like to do with your pictures. A list of colors that you want to look at, kinds of prints you're considering. Put some real effort into your thought process of shopping for this layout. Once you get home...work on that layout! Get it done and into your scrapbook as soon as possible while the ideas are still fresh in your mind!

Maybe there's a special stamp that you would use on this layout or a particular shade or acrylic paint that you would like to use. Really sit down and look at what you want to do...and then do it!

No comments: