INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Making your own Greeting Cards and Stationary

Back in 1994 I was introduced to stamping though the "home party" scene. I bought some stamps, brush markers all kinds of decorative edge scissors and of course a heat tool. I made cards sporadically. The work we did back then is nothing in comparison to what is being made these days. But we all start somewhere right? I recently came across a card that I had made for my son's 3rd birthday (he'll be 14 yrs old this month). I find it amazing to compare my work from back then to now, to see how far I have advanced in my card making techniques and how far the industry has evolved. There's so much more available to us these days, it's all about the consumer...I like that!

It was nearly 3 years ago when I decided to step up to the plate and commit myself to making ALL of the greeting cards that I give out to family and friends. I've not stepped away from that commitment either. From the simple Thank You cards, to Thinking of You, Birthday, Christmas, New Baby and Get Well cards. Now mind you 3 years ago there were only 2 types of cards I did not feel comfortable to make...Wedding and Sympathy cards. Those were areas in which I just didn't feel that a hand made card (of mine at the time) was appropriate. Silly huh? Well after being stationed here just over a year, the position of making the greeting cards for the squadron had opened up. I was asked if I would be interested in the position. "Heck yeah "I said with a smile! It's been a blast ever since! I can create new designs and try new techniques and mail them to people...what could be better than that? OH I know...someone else paying for it, THAT'S what!

My stamp collection has grown since moving here (it would be a lie to say that it hasn't). I've got stamps for just about every occasion. But in all honesty, Floral stamps are my all time weakness, especially the natural looking ones by Fred B Mullett, Hero Arts and Stampin Up (to name a few), then there's the brushstroke ones by Penny Black...those are so wonderful! Fred Mullett's designs are actual rubbings of the real thing...be it a fish, flower, sea shell or leaves. I'm in awe of his ideas. Lets face it, I cant get enough of his realistic looking stamps!

Here's a funny story for you to enjoy...When I first was introduced to Penny Black stamps it was through her Brush Stroke Flowers. I was visiting my parents in California and not 3 or 4 miles down the road (in opposite directions) were a stamping store in one town and a scrapbooking store in another...I was in heaven! So I check out the stamping store...let me just say that I could max out any credit card there and be happy! The owner (whose name is Sandy) took me on a tour of the store...oh my gosh it was wonderful! And there were these amazing cards all over the walls some made using these brushstroke floral stamps, needless to say I HAD to have them! I found that place to give me more inspiration that any other stamping store I have ever been in! I came home refreshed and ready to create! So I get back home (Ellsworth AFB, SD) and I tell a few friends about Penny Black stamps, how wonderful they were and so on. Then one friend say to me "Oh, did know that YOU were into Hedgies".My reply "What's a Hedgie"? then she proceeded to show me some of those crazy looking hedgehog stamps. Oh my gosh I about died laughing. I exclaimed "Oh my gosh NO, I am NOT into Hedgies". I was laughing so hard. My friends were looking at me strangely . Now it was time for me to show them what I was talking about. To my surprise they had never seen the brushstroke floral stamps...is that a hoot or what? Every time I think of that story I can't help but to laugh!

Now I'm always making greetings cards and stationary. I love to use linen paper for my hand writing stationary. One of my favorite things to do is to use Versamark watermark ink and a big stamp say of leaves or flowers, even sea shells and stamp all over the paper. The watermarks from the stamps are incredible! I's such a classy gift to give, and who doesn't enjoy getting stationary? Hmmm?

No comments: