INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Over Cropping of Digital Photos

The Over Cropping of Digital Photos...
Not all but some scrapbookers have moved on to the new technology of digital cameras. I was rather stand offish about going totally digital until a couple of years ago. I still pull my 35 mm camera out for some shots but it mainly hangs out in it's camera bag. What did it for me was taking my 35mm camera and all of my30+ rolls of 800 speed film through the airport and having each roll of film hand wiped for the bomb test and then being subject to a personal search...not much fun when you have to do it 3 times in a day. It also makes your husband and children grumble...a lot. It was soon after that my husband bought me digital camera #2...I love it!
Using digital cameras (got to love those memory cards) means that you can take many pictures of the same thing and later on picture out which photo's you want to print, I personally LOVE this about digital pictures. But one of the other great things to come out of digital photography is that we can also enhance the photo color and crop on our computer or printers. I had a conversation about this very thing with my friend Liz. As much as she loves her digital camera she told me that her husband drives her crazy because every photograph that he takes, he makes sure to fill up the entire frame with the subject matter. You see, her husband is the chief picture taker while on vacation (which is not the case for most scrapbooking women, LOL). This is a common practice with digital picture taking. Not leaving yourself anything to actually crop out of the picture. Some times you may want to have a smaller photo for a layout..but you've gone and blown that idea out of the water with the way you've taken the picture. You need to actually step back and take that camera out of zoom and get another shot of the same subject just father away. And after looking it on your computer monitor assess it...does it need to be cropped or the color enhanced? Do you want the picture to be a full 3x5 or 4x6 or are you going to want to crop the picture down and possibly use only a small portion of it to fit your needs in the layout? These are things to consider. So use that digital camera and take advantage of the fact that you don't have to get all of the pictures printed...just the ones you really want to to use on your next great layout!

No comments: