INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Friday, September 28, 2007

Crop for the Cure

I think that most of us have been effected one way or another by Breast Cancer. My first dealings with it was when a girlfriend was diagnosed back in Texas, she was at the time trying to ween her son from breast feeding. I'm sorry to say that Tonya fought valiantly but sadly lost her 3 ½ year battle with the disease shortly before we got here (Ellsworth AFB, SD) in August 2003. We were neighbors in Texas, our daughters played together, went to ballet lessons together and even went to speech therapy together.

A dear friend of mine who was one of the very first friends that I made during our assignment in Maine 17 years ago was diagnosed just over a year ago with Breast Cancer. She was never one to ever mince words or to stand by the sidelines, she sought and took aggressive treatment and is now a 1 year survivor and I'm happy to report is cancer free! My girlfriend Robin reminds me that life is precious and me must do what we can to live life to it's fullest. To tell those around us about the importance of getting mammograms.

So here I am, hosting a Crop for the Cure. I hope to honor my friends and to raise money for Breast Cancer research and awareness. I plan on using my culinary skills to make a beautiful gourmet lunch for the ladies that attend (ssshhh were going to eat off of real dishes too- they just don't know it yet). We'll have many terrific door prizes and a gift basket raffle. I'm charging $25 per person for this event...I hope to make it a HUGE success! I'll be designing some projects for the ladies and getting them together in kits. I look forward to spending some quality time with this dynamic group of women! There's a wonderful woman Kristi is her name over at http://3scrappyboys.com/ who has a blog
http://www.kristi-thepinkpages.blogspot.com/ please check it out. She talks about her journey with breast cancer. Kristi is also doing the Walk for the Cure. My friend Theresa did this last year and walked over 600 miles. It's such a worth while charity, please give to it if you can.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Love this entry and the empowerment and recognition to women.