INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where were you on 9-11?

As we look at the date on the calendar we remember what happened on this fateful day in 2001. Where were you when the planes stuck the twin towers? Where were you when the plane crashed in the field in Pennsylvania? Where were you when the plane hit the Pentagon?

I know where I was- I was at home. My husband called me from work and told me to turn on the TV, I did just as the 2nd plane hit the tower. I couldn't believe my eyes. My heart was breaking for all of those families that would never see their loved ones again. Then to find out that there were 2 more planes out there...I was sick with grief. I cried for 4 days straight. I remember being relived that my husband was on base. You see, his office took regular trips to the Pentagon. He and his office were supposed to be at the Pentagon that week. Phone lines were tied up all over the place, I couldn't get word to my parents or to my husbands parents that he was safe. The base was on total lock down- no one in or out.

A girlfriend of mine went to the Pentagon and took pictures of the carnage...she gave me prints to make a layout about it. I've still got those prints tucked away- I've still not been able to do a layout on the subject- it breaks my heart thinking just thinking about it. It's still too raw, too fresh too powerful a subject for me to work with without getting stains from the tears that will stream down my face while working on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandie! I am thinking about 9-11 a lot today also. I remember being stationed at Barksdale Air Force Base, LA, and my husband hadjust arrived home after working the night shift for a week long exercise. I woke him up and said you have to look what is on the TV, and he quickly made a call back into base and back into his uniform. With a lot of scrambling occuring, an hour later President Bush's plane landed, undetected at Barksdale, where he gave his press conference to reassure the American people. And then five days later, my husband and his bags were on the way to Diego Garcia to set up the base for the incoming planes a few days later for the initial upcoming bombing of Afghanistan. I didn't even know where he had gone until 3 weeks later because it was undisclosed, and forget about e-mail or any other contact because there was no phones or communication lines there yet; nothing. Hard to believe it has now been six years. Everyone should think of 9-11, yearly if not daily. Your friend, Liz

Sandie said...

Liz,
I can't begin to tell you how much I loved your comment (must have read it 5 times now). I too wish that Americans would reflect upon this day more than once a year. I think about the people who lost loved ones, My Father-in-law lost a friend that day on one of the planes. In an instant life as we knew it was changed for forever.