INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Sunday, October 28, 2007

magazine subscription renewals

What is up with all of these magazine companies sending out notices for renewal when my subscription doesn't expire for another year to 6 months? Are they that desperate for money right now? Because I tell ya what...It's really getting quite annoying! Granted there are some that I won't renew until the absolute last minute and others that I renew right away. I've decided to "cull the herd" this year and not renew some of my subscriptions. I figure that if I'm not finding the articles to be interesting or if the features are lacking in details or format...then it's time to end the subscription. How many folks out there suffer through reading one terrible issue after another only because they have a subscription? I read recently how a person wasn't going to renew a certain scrapbooking magazine and was waiting for her subscription to run out. Myself...if the magazine is that bad, I'd cancel my subscription, none of that waiting around for it to expire crap for me!

I recently received my November/December issue of Archaeology magazine...LOVE IT! I've subscribed to it for over a decade and I've never found it to be boring or lackluster. Now don't you even think that I keep these magazines around. I crack up with my father in law who keeps every issue of National Geographic...then tries to get us to take them. Um, no thanks, we have our own subscription, LOL! The last time we were in Boston he tried to get us to take 2 years worth of magazines with us- I shake my head and laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandie - These magazine renewals are one of my pet-peeves too! You really need to follow-up with them to make sure they haven't already been paid. Just sent an e-mail to Reader's Digest because they sent me a bill and I'm thinking to myself "didn't I just pay that a couple of months ago?" I think that is their newest scam. Send a duplicate bill to extend the subscription, but it makes you believe the bill is not an extension but that it was never paid! Another scam, this one a true scam we found, is that there are companies out there pretending to be the real billing component for the magazine. So then you pay them, and eventually they do pay the magazine company, but in the interim you get a bill from the magazine company directly! What we've learned is only pay the invoice if it is directly from the company themselves...not "Magazine Services" or something like that. Makes you want to give up on all of them! I have a big stack around and I never seem to make the time to read them.... Have a great autumn everyone! Liz

Sandie said...

I go directly to the web site when I pay for my subscriptions and keep records of when I've paid and when they are up for renewal.