INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Friday, January 08, 2010

Embrace your Space- UK version of My Scrapbook Nook unveiling

For inspiration for my new "nook"I looked at pictures on the internet- to see what others have done with small rooms turning them into their crafting spaces. It was important to me that I incorporate pieces that I already had. 1-this helps me to stay on budget and 2- these pieces work very well for me. After looking at what Ikea had to offer I was able to make a decision on what work best in the room. I wanted to give my space a total overhaul but also staying within a budget.
Measuring the room is key- don't go anywhere before you measure everything twice! Measure the items you want to use in the room. make a graph and move the pieces around. For me, I had to contend with a radiator, hence this work desk you see in these pictures, it's perfect for the space!
I also wanted a fresh color pallet- that's one of the nice things about moving every few years, getting to try new things. The black/white/silver makes it not look so overwhelming. Too much color can make small spaces that need to hold a lot of things look unorganized and cluttered. The black and white floral boxes you see in the picture give a uniformity to the space and keeps clutter hidden in a discreet manner.
Any questions- please e-mail me and I'll be more than happy to help you.



I love this glass door shelf unit, there's a large drawer underneath the shelves for storing large tools and such.





I've obviously embraced IKEA- these fabric bins are fantastic and the price is pretty reasonable too!


My IKEA work station

I lined all of these drawers with black cardstock for contrast, that and the fact that I didn't want to see the stacks of stamps.
Same stuff on the shelves as in South Dakota with exception of the Ikea Boxes

My TALL chrome shelf unit- LOVE this thing! Bought it at Lowe's in Rapid City and I've never regretted it! As you can see, this baby can hold a lot! Same items I had on it back in SD now I've added 2 jumbo storage boxes from Ikea. I can hide tons of bulky items that make my nook look messy- love it!
The lower closet area-not sure if I'll use the Cricut while here but I bought it anyway, I'm worried that it will die an early death.

The upper closet area. I used a shelf unit that I had in the home office/guest room at our last house. Black and White containers are from Ikea.

5 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

It looks great! If it's any help, I was a Cricut demonstrator for a couple of years from launch and we were all supplied with American models and used them with a normal plug adapter, US pin to UK pin....it's still going strong.

Sandie said...

Thanks for that bit of reassurment Julia! I fiure that if it dies I'll get myself be "big one" when I get back to the States :-)

Judith said...

It looks all set and ready to go. I am really looking forward to seeing some of your creations.
As for the cricut go ahead use it. Like you say you could always upgrade. x

Anonymous said...

I speechless! I have seen these houses and the space you have to work with. You know only fit things in...but the colours...everything is beautiful!!! Thank you for the strategies. When I move home...I am going to start with this post, measure and make a graph :) Just WOW!

kim.mom said...

It looks AWESOME Sandie! You & I are both on the same wavelength (must be the Gemini in us). I did mine in black & white, too. I found some clearance b/w hat boxes that look very similar to yours but I like your fabric bins better. They will last alot longer than mine! I can't wait to visit an IKEA!