INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Monday, January 18, 2010

make your own curtain rods

The first of my new twist on making a cheap version of a wooden curtain rod are in place. I gave my idea over to my husband who in turn made it happen (I love that he can do that). We've used dowels and hooks- I've done this very thing when hanging quilts on the wall for display and well I thought this..."why wouldn't the same concept work on curtains or valances?" When you see the ones I'm using for the kitchen in the kitchen/breakfast area you will snort and giggle. I have finial ends for those too :-) I hope to share this little brain storm with others. There are things to your spend money on then there are things to spend as little as possible on, LOL! Buying curtain rods in the UK can be pretty expensive when you think that for every British pound it is roughly costing $1.70- so £50.00 is actually $81.32 in US dollars and today's exchange rate is low ($1.62) but our bank tacks on a fee- a percentage for using our credit card here in the UK so the rates go up-ugh! Enough about money and exchange rates!

I'm here to show others how to make curtain rods from Dowels and to be able to keep a few hard earned dollars in their pockets! So I'm off to take some pictures of my husbands handiwork and hopefully get him to buy some more dowels at the hardware store so we can finish the rest of the house. But knowing him and how it's a "holiday" he'll probably go into work for a while...he always does.

About Dowels here in the UK- they are about 2½ meters long unlike buying Dowels in the USA which are about 3 feet in length. So you and I CAN use these to make curtain rods for wide windows :-) Dowels come in many different widths which makes them perfect for this very thing! From hanging heavy quilts to room darkening drapes these are the things to same us some $$ or in the case some £'s. Stay tuned for some pictures...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait...what a great idea!

Sandie said...

I like to think that I've got better thing to spend my money on than buying curtain rods, LOL!

Sharon Huffman said...

Great minds think alike! My first dowel curtain rod was over 8 feet long, so you can imagine how much it would have cost to buy a real rod! The next one is in my current master bath and is only 3 feet wide. They're very sturdy and can be painted to match your decor. Great idea!