INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Please say a prayer

Yesterday I posted that every day is a Gift From God- and it's true it is. But I also knew something that I couldn't write about until it was made public knowledge. A child from my daughter's school had committed suicide on Tuesday. This was an 11 year old boy that she actually knew and was friends with. My heart goes out to the family, I can only imagine their grief. But that leaves me wondering about where we are as a society, are we not listening to our children? Hannah said that the last thing she talked to the boy about was his pet guinea pig that died last year she asked him and that was last week. She said that he was nice, smart and a popular child at school. He was well liked by everyone and that he played basketball very well. I remember this boy being in my daughter's 4th grade class, he was silly like all 4th graders should be.

The school principal addressed the child's death of the PA system (this is not something that I would have done). He didn't mention that it was a suicide but did touch on the fact that he will be missed and that the death of a child certainly is a tragedy. The school counselor was helping the children that were in his classes deal with his sudden death. My daughter said that there were a lot of boys and girls crying yesterday. The the rumor started spreading that the boy had killed himself. Hannah said that she was saddened by this. She told me that as far as she knew that this boy had nothing to be sad about. I let her know that we really don't know anything about his home life, that we only know how he is at school around other children. He leaves behind an older brother and a younger brother, a father (who is in the military) and a mother all of whom loved him very much.

I reinforced my thoughts on suicide with my children yesterday...That there is without a doubt NOTHING in this world that is worth taking your life over, absolutely 100% NOTHING! That there is nothing that they can not come to their parents about, that we have no secrets from one another. If you have a question ask it! We are hear to listen and will do our best to help them or to find help for them.

Please say a prayer as this military family deals with this terrible tragedy.

No comments: