INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

Do you ring in the new year with special family traditions? My husband likes to stay up until midnight with the kids and watch the crystal ball in NYC drop every year. Myself, well last night I was in bed by 8pm and asleep by 9pm. My family came in and woke me up at 11:15 pm and then again just before midnight-ugh! I love that my husband and children are so enthusiastic about celebrating the old and new year.
My bit of celebrating the end of the year was changed from how I originally wanted to celebrate it. You see I had planned to cut some fabric and start a little project. But what ended up happening was that I took on a cooking project that lasted 3 hours. In the south Hoppin John is a dish of rice, salt pork or ham hocks and black eyed peas that's served traditionally on New Years Eve as to usher in good luck for the coming year. Well you know me, always looking for a "different" recipe to try and I found one over at epicurious (love that site). I love making/coking/eating Italian food and when I found this recipe, well I had to make it! I made Hoppin John Risotto Oh my word was it yummy! Of course I changed the recipe a bit and made it my own (check out my cooking blog for details). There's nothing like your family coming home from a hard day of playing in the snow to a hearty home cooked meal!
Here's how my family celebrated the last day of the year, snowboarding and snow skiing at Terry Peak, South Dakota.
Here is Andrew (he's on the ground) getting his boots attached to the snowboard and ready to play hard and take no prisoners :-)




...and here are my skiers Lucien and Hannah riding a ski lift at Terry Peak. I think that my daughter is the most beautiful girl in the world, but then again all mothers are a bit prejudiced when it comes to their children



1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Happy New Year!