INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, July 30, 2009

a different point of view

I find it exceedingly humorous and sad at the same time when actors go on and on about their wages and life style and how they want privacy. Here we are in the military, many families are having hardships due to deployments, some having hardships due to being overseas like - having a family member back home sick with Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's (like my Dad), Heart Disease( I can go on and on with this) back in in the states and are unable to afford the airplane ticket home. I'd like to see these multi-millionaires set up relief funds to help out our military families. Heck, I'd like to see these same actors and actresses spend money on feeding the hungry and the homeless in the USA or where ever their Home Country is- the people that are really responsible for those actors being millionaires in the first place.

I find that I can't look away from the train wreck called "Jon & Kate plus 8". From the first time my husband and I watched this show we saw Jon for who he really is- a sneaky responsibility shirking worm. He's about himself and always has been. Look at his current actions and to me it's just plain obvious that Kate was dealing with his cheating ways for quite some time.

I suppose our observations are due to us seeing military families and how they interact after a long separation to seeing civilian families and how they interact in general. Military families (for the most part) are caring and loving and support one another through the thick and the thin. Military families cherish each moment together since they can be sent on a deployment at the drop of a hat and the part that makes you have a lump in your throat is that sometimes they don't come back from a deployment. And to be honest, I don't know of a single military husband that does not take time out to help his wife with the kids and household chores.

Just from watching the show and taking general observations from it, Jon was always shirking his responsibilities and was great at making his wife out to be "the bad guy-all of the time". Jon would come home and want to be "the FUN parent" while leaving Kate to be the parent who had to take care of enforcing the rules. I see this a lot in civilian families.
Taking care of 8 kids plus take care of a household, taking kids to various doctor appointments, cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry etc- I don't think there's a single woman out there that could have come off looking graceful and fresh after a day spent in the company of 8 very active children. Then top that off with a husband that's been cheating on me with pictures of his infidelity that's all over the news and printed in the tabloids, I think that Kate shows great self control, dignity and class.

At the end of the day, I'm happy and proud to be a military wife. I like the life I have, it's a good life. I feel that I've been blessed...through the good times and the depolyments, we military spouses stick together and support one another.

5 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

I don't know who Jon and Kate are, but I'm guessing he thought he'd come out rather well from the programme or he wouldn'thave doneit, so serve him right! Your post is pretty spot on in my opinion; there is still a very clear division of labour at home.

Celedon said...

I think you are missing out on a big problem in many military families that has been going on for a long time. The Family Advocacy program has been working with families trying to deal with domestic violence, child and spouse abuse for years, and infidelity in the military is nothing new. Every base has a Family Advocacy program and as a key spouse you can be very much at the forefront by being knowledgeable about this program.
Don't kid yourself that every military spouse is helping with chores. Some are shoving their wife or child's head in a trash can because the floor isn't clean enough. I know because I've worked with the program for years. As for infidelity, it's hard for me to believe you don't know any military families where a spouse has cheated.

Sandie said...

Celedon- I know all too well about domestic voilence. I have 3 very good friends who work in womens shelters in various pasrts of the USA- one of which is a director. My own sister's husband was caught several times have extra marital affairs and no matter what we did my sister woudl never leave him, Thankfully she's divorced from the jackass. In the 1980's I had a very good friend who ran away from her husband and hid out with me and other friends until she could manage to scrape together enough money together to leave the area and change her name. I don't pretend to kid myself to what is going on behind closed doors, especially where miliytary families are conccerned.
As for what I stand by- I will personally seek any and all military members to be brought to trial that is guilty of domestic violence. But I also need those spouses who have been abused to come forward and report those things.

Sandie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandie said...

I've also been a juror on a domestic viloence case in the 1990's. I do not pretend to think that this does not go on, believe me. And I take my role as a key spouse very seriously.