INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Driving in England and other things

I drove from Bicester to RAF Croughton and back with my daughter as my co-pilot. We had a blast! Our commissary is a small one BUT it carries just about everything that we usually bought when we lived State side. Granted I can see myself buying meat from the butcher shop in town and buying fresh fruits and veggies from the local farmers market and well, I'll have to buy my beloved PG Tips tea bags at a local grocery store because our Commissary doesn't carry it. Food shopping here is not bad at all.

About driving here in the UK...Once you master all of the different kinds of roads signs and figure out what they all mean, figure out the differences between the 4 different kinds of cross walks that are out here and know what you're doing with your turn signals on the rotarys...passing the driving test is a snap (yes, I'm being a tad sarcastic). The road signs are very different than the kinds we have state side. But seriously, get the handbook AND the DVD and practice, practice, practice! Take your time, plan your trips and you'll be fine...oh and having a GPS is highly recommended (even the locals use them).

We bought some of the things that Hannah will need on her trip to Wales next week. We'll have to go out again tomorrow morning and see what else we can find that's on the list. Who of my friends here in the UK knows what synthetic trousers are? I haven't a clue and I'm afraid of making myself out to look like an idiot by asking a clerk in a store.

3 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Synthetic trousers - made from non natural fibres, no cottons or wools - polyester or one of the tencel type fabrics. I'm guessing Hannah is going a bit 'outdoorsy'? Warm and quick drying is the name of the game then, so definitely synthetics! For which I recomend English camping stores such as Blacks, Oswald Bailey and Millets. Good Luck!
As for traffic - I could never get used to overhead traffic lights in the States, or having the street name hung at the junction before it...took me ages!!

Sandie said...

Thanks Julia! You;re a lifesaver! I've been asking and no one had given me a good answer. Now it makes perfect sense as before it had me scratching my head a bit, LOL!

Sandie said...

Oh and today I'm going to check out a camping store that's in a shopping mall in Banbury. Been there once before with my husband and today I'm venturing there with my daughter. Widh me luck!