INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Friday, July 03, 2009

Shopping in England

Wow, what a Friday! I went with my husband to get his car a front end alignment and some shopping in a town named Kettering. I saw so many great and wonderful stores, seems that everyone is having a sale too!

First stop the Clarks Shoe Store...I was lucky in the fact that this store had those brown sandals and yes I bought them and I also bought myself a very smart looking pair of white loafers (talk about comfortable and CUTE). We went into an Antique store (believe it or not my husband took me into that store)- WOW! We plan on going back there (with the minivan), there were many beautiful items there and we both fell in love with an antique desk that was there in the store. The crystal chandeliers were amazing, and I'm not a crystal chandelier kind of girl but I tell ya what...I'm changing my opinion of them. The Estate jewelery pieces were unlike anything I've ever seen before. Unusual and beautiful are two words I'd use to describe the pieces that I saw. Oh yeah, we'll be going back there that's for sure!

We ate lunch at a charming little restaurant in Kettering, picked up my husbands car and went on to the place on our list of stops...

We stopped off at RAF Alconbury, went to their BX, got a few household items there and off to our next stop at RAF Lakenheath. I have to tell you right now that I was seriously bummed out that they no longer sell the Portmeirion pottery- that was the reason why I went with my husband, to add start my collection of this beautiful pottery. Now I was surprised to find that the BX at ARF Lakenheath sells Polish Pottery, I did manage to pick up a couple of serving bowls and a utensil crock since I won't be seeing my own Polish Pottery until sometime in October :-( I'm starting to have withdrawal issues from my kitchen items (I'm missing them terribly)

Now trust me, I'm not the only one shopping, my husband did his fair share too. We bought a DVD player (funny thing is that we only have 1 DVD at the moment- the rest we'll see in October with everything else in our house). The coolest purchase has to be the electric tea kettle. It heats up an entire liter of water in 2 minutes-oh yeah! No more having to boil water on the stove! Another great find was getting some replacement dishes for cheap (I'm tired of the ones we've borrowed from the AFRC).

All in all it was a great day spending one on one quality time with my husband. Now to spend some quality time with my family while we watch our 1 DVD on our new DVD player, LOL!

2 comments:

Sheilagh said...

Sounds like you had fun with your husband. Is the BX where you can buy all your American food and goods on base? The equivelent of the NAAFI on British bases?

I think you may find Portmerion pottery at outlet villages or in John Lewis or Debenhams stores.

best wishes

Sheilagh

Sandie said...

Thanks Sheilagh I'm going to try looking in those places. And yes, it's the BX is the "base exchange" an American goods store, and it's also Tax free/Duty free as well :-)