INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Portmeirion my next kitchen obsession

I adore flowers. It's no wonder why I gravitated towards Portmeirion tableware (that's dishes for we Americans). The tulip pattern below is new for 2009, and the purple lily is a collectors special edition. I've been paying close attention to the American Dollar to the British Pound conversion rates. When I see something here state side I check out the price and see how much it would cost me in Great Britain, if the price comes out better over there, then I buy it there- if not, then I buy it here.
I have a handful of Portmeirion pieces, and buy them when the "price is right". I came across a few pieces the other day at TJ Maxx that had been marked down making them a "good buy". This is my special treat to myself for remembering our time in England. I bet you're wondering how so when I started collecting pieces here state side...I only did so after we got our orders. I've admired this tableware collection for over 11 years! I remember when my girlfriend Maria (back when we were stationed in Texas) bought her 8 place settings, she had a friend of her husband's pick it up when he was TDy at RAF Lakenheath. Here's the thing with Maria... those dishes are on display only as she has never let anyone get near them with a fork! And then there's my girlfriend Jane (in VA who is of British heritage and has herself been stationed at RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath) who also has Botanical Garden, BUT, Jane, unlike Maria, actually uses hers as every day dinnerware...making everyday dining feel special.




2 comments:

voodoo vixen said...

Things should be used and the pleasure of the usage is the reward.. stored in a dark cupboard... who benefits from that?

Sandie said...

To me, Portmeirion Botanical Garden represents an untold elegance of country living. It makes me think of tea parties in the garden with my daughter and her girlfriends.
Voodoo Vixen, you hit it on the nailhead! It does no one any good if it's hidden away.