INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Sunday, August 17, 2008

At the Central States Fair

The first day of the Central States Fair kicked off yesterday. Hannah and I went for a couple of hours to look at all of the exhibits.

One the neatest things I've ever seen was the huge crocheted framed piece- a picture of the Last Supper. I can only imagine the many hours of work that went into making such a lovely work of art. The next one that caught my eye was the orange and black crocheted pumpkin afghan, that was pretty cool!

The quilting division was something to behold- I am in awe at all of the beautiful quilts on display. All I can say is that I aspire to be :-) I had entered 2 items in the quilting division- my chocolate dreams quilt that came in 3rd place in the medium sized quilts and my orange and pink cone-flower quilted table runner that came in 3rd place in table runners. I feel honored to have been awarded a ribbon, especially so with some many wonderful quilted items on display.

On to the Scrapbooking division- it's hard to say what goes through the mind of someone judging the work of another. I know that it must be a very hard job to try and decide who gets top choice and who doesn't. Then there's awarding the Judges Choice awards and the Best in Show awards. I entered several layouts in the various categories, 15 in all. I didn't know what to expect when I walked into the building that held the scrapbooking entries and was surprised to find a small crowd gathered around in that area. Hannah and I wondered and said to one another "what are they all looking at?" we went over to check it out and someone said to me "that's you in that picture, isn't it?". Okay that felt weird, so I replied "excuse me? I'm not sure what you mean"... then I was show what everyone was gathered around- the layout of me and my Dad. It had won the judges choice award. Since it's hidden journaling I had printed it out and had it available for everyone to read in a separate page protector. Needless to say I was quite surprised with the reactions to my layout. It also made my heart soar that I could honor my dad in such a wonderful way!

No comments: