INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ellsworth AFB and Box Elder

We've been stationed out here at Ellsworth since 2003, bought a house in the sleepy town of Box Elder in 2007 and really have come to enjoy this area . Through the process of making friends with such wonderful people like my friend Peg (see her blog in my Blogs of Note) and Joan I've gotten involved in local things like the Central State Fair and the Black Hills Quilters Guild. There are the lovely ladies that I get to hang out with for a few hours once a month in our little crafting group, all are more precious to me then they will ever know.

Most military spouses stick to getting to know other military spouses. Myself, I try to get involved in my local area as much as possible. I want to get to know those around me in my local community, I suppose that makes me a little different.

The little town of Box Elder is growing in leaps and bounds. With 6 new subdivisions having sprung up in the last 3 years. There are 7 subdivisions (that I know of) all of which have new construction going on as I type. There are starter homes being built for those that are purchasing their first home and it goes up from there. Whether you are buying your first home or your 3rd, there's something for everyone in our growing town. The subdivision where I live has a few homes for sale that are "resale" homes. There are 2 houses on my street being offered for sale by military families that have orders to move to another assignment and a 3rd military home owner who plans on renting out his home.

One of the great things about our area is the school district. If it wasn't for the schools, we wouldn't have bought a house in this area. I do feel that our kids are getting a top notch education here. Class room sizes are smaller (in the elementary school it was 16 kids max to a class). That means more time for the teacher to teach versus having to spend that time telling Bobby, Johnny or Suzie to behave. Another plus, we have busing for our high school students! I was so surprised to learn that the Rapid City school district does not bus their high school students. Um hello! Not every parent can afford to have a high school-er driving to school! That to me is just plain nuts! Our teachers actually take the time get to know the kids which I think is great! Even the school bus drivers take the time to get to know the kids on their bus route- another huge plus! The kids that live on base also go to the Douglas Schools. Ever since the birth of our children, where ever we've lived has been all about the schools our children will attend.

I'd highly recommend this area to any newcomer to Ellsworth AFB. There are several housing areas/subdivisions to choose from, some have big houses with big yards and some are smaller starter homes but there is something for everyone that's for sure! I love where I live, it's a great community that's growing. I'm hoping to see more commerce merge into this area. One of my goals is to see a real honest to goodness grocery store open in Box Elder. Not everyone here in Box Elder is military and not every military affiliated person wants to drive on base to pick up groceries- not to mention that the commissary isn't always open at convenient times for people to shop, like before or after work. That's just one of the many things I want to see happen for our little town. Given time I see this town growing in a wonderful way!

No comments: