INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, August 07, 2008

My life...or something like it

Ahhh the Air Force way of life, where would I be without it? Probably living in my beloved home state of California working in a forensic laboratory studying knife marks on human remains OR better yet working out in the field in Egypt doing my life long ambition of working with mummies (I know- what a dream job right?☺). But the good Lord had other plans for me and thus he brought my fly boy husband into my life. With that very man, I have lived in numerous places across the USA, we have 2 beautiful and intelligent children and I have had the chance to dive deeply into my creative side, I've also been able to do philanthropic work and to be a community activist. Through God and my husband I've learned that life is not all about books and field work it's about giving of yourself to others.

I figure that the Lord has given me a wonderful opportunity - being not just for the chance of being a wife and mother (which truly is a gift) but the ability to do things that give people comfort and to make people happy. From my ability to envision something better for our community and work towards making it a reality, to have an idea about creating a specific item then to make my ideas come to life by drawing out my pattern and making them come to life - window treatments and tote bags being my favorites. And of course there's being able to cook and to cook well, I tell ya- there's something to be said about the satisfaction that a good sharp knife and a bamboo cutting board can bring☺. Where some people tend to get so stressed out when trying something new that they miss the most important part- enjoying the process.

Scrapbooking, card making, embroidery, cooking, sewing and gardening-I enjoy everything and anything just as long as I'm being creative and am actively doing something. Nothing came easy (it just appears that way), trust me when I say that I've had to work at it all- but the rewards, those were/are worth every moment of my time!

There are some of us who have the gift of compassion while being to listen and give comfort to those in need. To help give comfort to a spouse whose partner is away on a deployment is one of the most worthwhile things I feel that I can do in my military community while here at Ellsworth. I feel that I've gained something from all of that - for my own self the ability to find strength to deal with the health related issues of my aging parents. From my Dad having Alzheimer's and advanced Parkinson's Disease to my Mom living alone, all the while I'm praying that her cancer stays in remission and doesn't come back for a 3rd round (uterine cancer 1976, vaginal and rectal cancer 2005).

I made the right decision when I decided to cut back on my volunteering and I feel better for doing so. I'm no longer volunteering 30+ hours a week at the Base Thrift Shop and I've decided not to take a position on the OSC board. I've found myself feeling like I used to- at peace and little things no longer leave me feeling stressed out. I'm once again enjoying being at home and am not having panicked feelings of urgency at getting things done NOW. I feel that I'm much better prepared for if and or when my husband is deployed. I think my foot injury earlier this year was Gods way to helping me to come to the decision to cut back and concentrate on my family and our home life. Do I feel blessed? Yes, and I feel it every single day!

That's it for the insight of my life...time for some coffee before little Amelia comes over for the day.

No comments: