INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Bees!

We've had something to attend every single day since we here, today is no different. I knew that I would be busy when I got here but this has been nuts!

I was supposed to go to Kingham Hill School in Chipping Norton this morning with my husband, but I opted to stay home with the children. I'd like to be able to bum around here at home and relax. Our house is a disaster area- you see we opened up an insane number of boxes (15) that we sent to ourselves. I've got packing paper, bubble wrap and cardboard boxes strewn around the dining room, living room and hallway (reminds me greatly of Christmas). There's still plenty of items that need to be put away and the carpet desperately needs to be vacuumed.

All 4 of us were up past 2 am- you see, there were bees in Andrew's bedroom. Here's the scoop... there's a nest of bees in the walls of this house (perfect for me since I'm allergic to bees- yes I'm being sarcastic). My husband had called housing on this BEFORE the kids and I came out but apparently they never took care of the situation. Now they are buzzing and humming away on the side of the house. The screen situation here is different than what we are used to the in the USofA. I'll have to take pictures to show you rather than trying to explain in detail about something that really needs to be seen. Basically the screens pull down on the inside of the house (kind of like roll down shades but different) and the windows open outward. As I was upstairs putting things away that we unpacked from the boxes we had opened I heard buzzing sounds coming from Andrew's room- loud noisy buzzing like a bunch of bees were hanging out in his room. I look into his room and I almost had a stroke! Bees lots of bees flying around in there like crazy! I quickly closed the door, went downstairs and got my husband and son. This is the part when I suddenly appreciated the fact that British homes have doors closing off rooms- doors to kitchen from hallway and dining room, door from hallway to living room. I stayed safe in the kitchen with the doors to that room closed! My guys took care of the situation but guess what- more bees got into our house. How did they get in? Apparently the screen (I'll have to take pictures and post them later) doesn't entirely seal off the out of doors insects from entering your home. I was just informed that our daughter had a bee buzzing in her room last night after her dad and I went to bed. She got her brother to take care of the situation. I'm going to be getting some caulk from self help first thing on Monday! I personally will be sealing up any and all bug entry ways! For now, we'll stuff paper into those holes and seal out the bees and other little bugs!

3 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Bees are protected, the only way to move them is find a local beekeeper, he can remove the queen and the whole swarm willmove with her. I used to work in housing here in Tidworth (Army) and our hands were tied over these sort of problems. Wish you luck, and yellow pages! Meanwhile, are you feeling even vaguely at home?

Sheilagh said...

OMG, I would be out of there fast:(
I hope you get sorted soon. Things can only get better...can't they?

Sheilagh

Sandie said...

So here I am...bees and all. Settling in as best as we can, waiting for my box of silverware/flatware to arrive. Everywhere we've been/traveled to has been amazing. I'm loving it here!