INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Friday, June 12, 2009

Skin Cancer Sucks!

I be that title got your attention. Apparently all of the years I spent sun worshiping 1978 through 1990 (my teens and twenties) have now come back to bite me on the face (I bought you thought I was going to say ass, didn't you? come on admit it).
The dermatologist checked me out to make sure that I didn't have any more of these lovely precancerous spots, there were only the 2 and that's more than enough for me! Some liquid nitrogen artfully and skillfully applied and there, taken care of. I am going to set up a follow up appointment with a dermatologist in the UK. I want to make sure that my precancerous spots are gone and stay gone! What I have is called "Actinic Keratosis" and it's the most common form of precancer. Check out the link highlighted in red to read more about it. About the liquid nitrogen, it didn't hurt when it was applied on my cheekbone but damn if it didn't burn like hell on that spot right next to my lip- OUCH! So it's #70 to #85 SPF for me this summer!

Here's something that most folks do not know about sunscreen...or just never realized...

*Sunscreen needs to be applied 20 minutes BEFORE going out into the sun or into a pool.

*Sunscreen needs to be applied at least every 80 to 120 minutes throughout the day to remain effective.

*If going into the water, it needs to be reapplied after toweling off. Why? Because you just rubbed it off with your towel that's why.

*Sunscreen needs to be applied more frequently if you are swimming or are sweating- because the excess water/moisture is washing it away.

*Wear a hat and stay in the shade whenever possible!

No comments: