INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Home Sweet (temporary) Home

Okay, so we're in the house... and this morning I've been keeping myself pretty busy with unpacking suitcases and putting away clothing. Then there's putting away all of the stuff from those boxes I've been shipping over here. for the past 2½ months.

I made myself stay up for a very long time so I could beat the jet lag- does that make sense? I woke up at 6am local time and I feel okay, but I could still use a little more caffeine.

Our house albeit a temporary house for us, it's a nice house, small but nice. The dining room is quite large and the living room is of a good size too. There's a decent sized laundry room that's probably the same square footage as my last one but this one is of a better shape (square instead of rectangular) and it has a window! The bathrooms are all much smaller as well BUT they all have windows that open!!! I can't begin to tell you how much I've missed having bathrooms with windows(especially ones that open) It's been 10 years since we've lived in a house that has windows in the bathrooms! Some quirky things...the stove that hums, oh yes it hums. But that was the trade off for having a self cleaning stove. That's right (I hope my military girlfriends are reading this) it's a SELF CLEANING stove in military housing! NO more having to use Easy Off for me! WooHoo! Lots of cabinets and counter space in the kitchen which is very nice!

The bedrooms are rather small, okay they're really dinky! But after all, they're bedrooms- a place to sleep. I can tell ya right now my children will be downstairs hanging out with the folks versus hanging out in their rooms watching TV or playing on their computers only because there's no room for those things in their rooms- besides we gave away the TV's before we left (they wouldn't have worked here anyway).

Our drive way is super skinny, no garage to speak of and we have a very small storage shed in the backyard that's more of the size of the coat closet. The house is a lot closer to the street than we are accustomed to, not to mention that we're a lot closer space wise to our neighbors. Our backyard here at this house is triangular in shape (weird) but it's got a cool fence that my kitty won't be able to squeeze under, nor will any other cats for that matter!

We're going to the airport today to pick up our kitty. I hope that the trip wasn't to traumatic for her. I miss her terribly and want to get her accustom to her new home- even if it's only for a few months.

Speaking of home... I saw our other house and compared to this one, it's huge! Oh my word it looks lovely from the outside (I adore brick houses). We should be moving into it in October.

I look forward to us having numerous adventures while we are stationed here in England. My darling husband called me this morning and we're already filling my calendar with functions to attend. My first function will be tomorrow- good thing that I packed dressy clothing and heels!

I better get dressed for the day before one of our new neighbors comes by for a meet and greet while I'm still dressed for bed, LOL!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely you packed your camera and can post some pictures for those of us stateside folks who are curious! So glad your trip was uneventful and you are already settling in!

Helen said...

Hi Sandie welcome to sunny England. Glad you have found Bicester pretty at this time of year. Small rooms are a quirky feature of English houses unfortunately builders do not realise we need storage & living space. Hope your kids soon settle in & hope your kitty is ok after her flight & is soon settled into her new garden. Helen aka Mollydog

Sandie said...

Thanks everyone! Our computers are here...okay they're in my minivan at the base but will be here within the hour. So I will be able to upload some pictures.

It's been an adventure to say the least, one that's been good minus the stuff going on with our cat. £546 for her to stay in a kennel for 8 days is a bit unreal!

kim.mom said...

Sandie,

So glad you are loving England! I can't wait to see pictures! Write soon!

Kim G.