INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Another Scrapbook Store closing it's doors

Our last remaining bonafide scrapbook store in the Rapid City area is now closing it's doors for good. That's rather sad when you consider that they've been in business for over 6 years. So in the past year, all 3 of the scrapbooking stores in the Rapid City area have gone out of business. When you have places like the Dollar Store, Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart all trying their hand at selling scrapbooking supplies at a discount, its no wonder why home grown scrapbooking stores are going out of business. When we buy all of our papers, embellishments and adhesives from the discount department stores but come to the little guy for help putting it all together- well that's just wrong. These little stores pride themselves on the latest products and excellent customer service not to mention product knowledge...those other stores have employees that stock shelves and nothing more.

It's much like a needlework store I used to frequent when we lived in Abilene, Texas...there were some who would buy their product (Aida cloth, cross stitch patterns and floss) at the discount chain stores like Wal-Mart , K-Mart and Hobby Lobby but came to the little needlework store (Yarns and Threads was it's name) for help and advice...and expect it for free even though the original purchase was not made in that store. I loved going into that store, their help and product knowledge was invaluable! I would never think of going into a needlework with expectations of being shown how to use products I bought at a "box store" - much less expecting it for FREE. When my mom or mother in law came for a visit, that was always the first place they would want to visit...the selection of fine yard was amazing! Both my mom and m-i-l brought back enough specialty yarns and patterns to make a dozen different projects :-)

The other kind of store that we are seeing less and less of are fabric stores. Again with stores like Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart carrying a small selection of fabrics at a discount it's harder for stores dedicated to selling fabrics to get people to come in and check out what they have to offer. I'll admit it, I go into our local fabric store on a quarterly basis. But when I do go in I am there on a mission looking for a specific type of fabric and never leave empty handed. While conversing with a friend about sewing machines the subject of fabric stores came up. She informed me that there are no longer any fabric stores in the city where she lives. The sad part is that she lives in a major coastal city in California. You can't tell me that no one sews out there, I just wouldn't believe it! We have 2 stores here in our area dedicated to quilting. I admit it, I've not been in either one only because I'm afraid to get hooked on yet another crafting hobby. But that's about to change :-)

So when you can, shop at a Mom and Pop owned store!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mentioned needlework and I was wondering if you also do needlework besides scrapbooking. I am one of the few who scrapbook my needlework and I am looking for others who do the same.

Sandie said...

HI Teejay,
and yes I do take pictures of my needlework and have made scrapbook layouts about them. I have also made small stitch pieces in the past and used them as embellishments, LOL! I do that using perferated paper made especially for needle work. But my work is nothing as to that of my friend Susan's work. Please chek out her blog and then her web shots page for some really nice examples of needlework.