INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Friday, January 04, 2008

Military Retirement Ceremonies and such...

Last evening my husband and I attended a dinner honoring a man who after spending 30 years in the Air Force is now retiring. His friends made a terrific tribute to honor his career, and it was obvious how well thought of this man is to his peers- officers and enlisted alike. I became teary eyed when his daughter presented him with a picture of the two of them. She spoke about only letting her Dad brush her hair (must have been when it had a lot of knots in it) then she gave her Dad a beautiful framed and matted photo of him brushing her hair, she couldn't have been any older than 9 in the picture...it brought tears to my eyes. I could easily see the 2 people in that photo being Lucien and Hannah.

Today there are two retirement ceremonies - one for the Sergeant whose dinner we attended last night and the other for a Colonel. I'll be able to attend the one for the Colonel but an orthodontic appointment with our son prevents me from attending the latter. If you've ever attended a military retirement ceremony, you'll know that they are full of giving tribute to those that have helped you along the way. I make sure to have tissues with me because they always make me cry.

No comments: