INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, January 17, 2008

My search for a new sewing machine begins...

As today's quote is about "Chance"- it really is by chance that I am looking on the internet for price comparisons on sewing machines. My own modest little sewing machine a White 1510 quietly died the day before Thanksgiving after 17 years of dedicated service. I've been meaning to replace it but have not made myself actively go out looking at sewing machines. I already know that I don't want to go to places like Wal-Mart, Target or Sears...like the sales help really knows anything about sewing at either place- seriously! I went to a local sewing machine store and got some information on a couple of different brands. I felt as if the sales person was trying to pressure me into buying something other than I was looking for, she acted more like a used car salesman...I went in for "a" and they're trying to sell me "b", hmmmm. So I started searching for more information on the internet on each of the machines. Then I called my mother in law- you see my sister in law just bought herself and the m-i-l new machines for Christmas (women after my own heart). I bought the m-i-l a blender (hey, it was Kitchen-Aid)...thinking of her making margaritas in her old blender was the catalyst in my getting her a new high powered one, LOL! Any way I digress...so my s-i-l has not gotten back to me and my BFF Barbara in CA (next to my Mom, Barbara IS the Sewing Guru) hasn't gotten back to me yet (different time zones ET all). So I did an internet search and ended up talking to someone on the East Coast. The gentleman I spoke with was extremely helpful and gave me oodles on information about where the 17 different sewing machines his place of business sells , where the machines are made, who makes what -just like Kenmore appliances- just because they say Kenmore doesn't mean that they're made by Kenmore, they're made by other manufacturers. Same goes for the Pfaff model I was inquiring about. I'm looking into these 3 brands Pfaff, Bernina and Jenome. My last sewing machine lasted for a long time, and I know that sewing machines are more advanced and not really all that much more (price wise) than what we paid for my little sewing machine 17½ years ago. I have a feeling that I'm buying a sewing machine today :-)

No comments: