INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The challenge of interior decorating

I woke to a pounding headache. Could be all of the stress I've been under just coming to the top and trying hard to escape. Some warm delicious coffee will fix me right up, of this I am sure!

As I'm sitting here at my little computer desk I'm thinking about decorating this room. It's a mish-mash of Air Force memorabilia, my Mary Engelbreit pillows and table runners left over from Hannah's bedroom in Virginia and my collection of sea shells. The comforter on the bed is one that we used for our guest room in Virginia. That room had a New England Blueberry theme to it, the white and shades of blue were very restful. But alas, we're back to having our computer in a bedroom of sorts (at least it's no longer in the master bedroom). With 2 rooms to make window treatments for I find myself at an impasse. What to make, what theme to decorate the bedroom in? I'm keeping the pillows regardless of their theme, I'll just have to take the pillows out of the little covers and store them for later use.

I've been longing to do a tone on tone beach/sea shell theme for a room. To turn it into a restful haven. But will my spouse go for that idea? Especially since we are living in the mid-west, no beaches here with exception of a prehistoric beach (hence the finding of sea shells in the Crystal Cavern area in the hills). I dearly miss the ocean, I miss the smells and the sounds, I miss being able to walk on the sand and the cool water lapping up around my ankles, I miss squishing the sand between my toes. I hope to one day live near the ocean... again.

So do I go with my heart and do an ocean theme? Or do I go with an Americana theme? While in Texas (a very patriotic place to live by the way) every other home had an Americana (red, white and blue) themed room or two. My friend Renee Smith had Americana themed everything! From her dishes, to table linens heck- her entire house was done up in a rustic red white and blue theme. The theme fit her and was perfect for that house style... it was charming beyond belief. Granted, it was a little too rustic for my taste, but it was totally charming none the less. Whatever the theme, I'll be making everything for the room. I'm going to do some more thinking on this...

Now for more coffee as it has my headache slowly melting away :-)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Go sandy and coastal! I've got a kit with a beach scene that needs stitched LOL
Hope the headache goes away soon!

Sandie said...

so is this your way of telling me that you'd stitch a picture for the room? LOL!