INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Here I am...

... writing a letter to my sister and I thought...hey this would work great as a topic on interest for my blog...or not, LOL! What am I writing to her about...quilting, cooking and scrapbooking of course, LOL!

I'm writing my sister about a recent visit I paid to a local quilt shop. I've been to this shop several times in the past few months and although her shop shop is lovely, it's also very old fashioned looking - and not a single display has been changed in months. Every quilt displayed in the place has an old fashioned antique look to it or was done with country calico fabric - there are some that may find this charming but there was nothing on display done in modern fabric trends. There was not one thing done in bold vibrant colors, nothing done with batik fabrics and all of the baby stuff was done in these washed out muted pastel colors- blah! There are tons of great patterns to be had, but the inspiration was rather lacking. I did enjoy the themed rooms but alas some of the stuff was a bit too country looking to capture the eye of younger people. I felt that the displays needed to be updated with a more modern flair to fit the designs tastes of today. To be honest, I've not bought any fabric there.

I also wrote my sister about the intimidation factor of buying a sewing machine. I'm sure that I'm giving her quite the chuckle. I don't think that she would have ever thought that they could be so very expensive. You see, my sister is not a sewer, not by any means. My sister likes to work with yarn, her hobbies are crocheting and plastic canvas work. So like my every growing stash of fabric, my sister I'm sure has amassed quite the stash of yarn from her hobbies. :-)

My mother-in-law confessed to me that she has got quite the "stash" of yarn going on at her house. She loves to knit and crochet and takes every opportunity to buy yarn when she finds it on sale. She was telling me about some sort of pigeon hole cubby display shelf that she got when the men's clothing store she worked at was being remodeled. It sounds seriously cool and I'm looking forward to seeing it. For someone who loves to work with yarn...it sounds like the perfect way to keep everything organized and it's a great way to see what you have on hand.

No comments: