INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Jelly Rolls

One of my latest fascinations with quilting is the Jelly Roll. No this isn't about baking it's about quilting! Jelly Rolls are 2½ in wide strips of fabric (their length is the width of the fabric or WOF). A Jelly Roll is comprised of anywhere from 24 to 40 strips of fabric from a fabric line. Prices run anywhere from $24 to $40 for a Jelly Roll.

I've bought 2 different patterns books that are dedicated to making strip quilts using Jelly Rolls. Many quilt shops have monthly Strip Club events that are totally devoted to making strip quilts. One of our local area Quilt Shops (Quilt Corral Too in Rapid City) has a Strip Club event the first Saturday of every month and she (Joan the owner) gives away a free pattern with purchase of a Jelly Roll. But one can also buy just the pattern w/o having to purchase the Jelly Roll. I've bought a couple of Jelly Roll patterns from QCT and have plans to make them in the future. I've also been making my own Jelly Rolls using coordinating fabrics. I've bought 2 books- "Strip Happy" and "Strip Crazy", talk about some amazing patterns!

Now I have a magazine that I bought over the summer and it has this adorable Mary Engelbreit inspired design for a strip quilt. Soooooo, I finally break down and said yes to making this project...now the hunt for the fabric. I was able to find on line (at 2 different e-stores) the main panel (see picture below) it's available at The Fat Quarter Shop and the Jelly Roll (also pictured below) available at Clotilde to make this item. The fabric line is Mary Engelbreit company name is Moda fabrics (oh how I love their fabrics!). I was able to find the other fabric items needed to complete this project at a local quilt shop here in Rapid City. Needless to say, I'm excited about getting to work on my next quilting project! It's going to be CUTE!




No comments: