INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'm on a roll- Lets Purge!

Something really got to me yesterday and I feel as if I've got some sort of a second wind when it comes to purging even MORE stuff from my home. Would you like to know what the "something" was? IT was a call from the moving company that's coming here on Monday to pack my husbands 500 pound load. This to me was like a wake up call- this IS REAL this IS HAPPENING! And it's going to happen next week! First it was my car- which by the way is ON the Boat which is currently sailing on the Atlantic Ocean! I felt strangely queasy yesterday afternoon.

So I have Longaberger Baskets all over the place...I also use them for storage. Here we go on the purge part- no I'm not purging the baskets, LOL! I'd open up one basket only to find about a dozen table clothes. These are the wonderful yet relatively inexpensive plastic table clothes with the felt backing. This is the table where the kids do homework and class projects, my husband does his little electronic crafting and so forth. I would use those plastic table clothes to protect my table- and they've done a great job too! But now, it's time for me to cull the heard and reduce how many of them we own. I took out half and put them in the box for the Women's Shelter. I open another basket and find acrylic paints (the type for walls not paper). I haven't done any stenciling in over 8 years, why on earth do I still have this old stuff? Out to the trash bin they went!

Next stop on the purge express...back to the guest room closet. I came across a box that just made me laugh! Why I had it still is beyond me, I thought that I had gotten rid of all of that junk years ago- but apparently not! Costume jewelry- basically earrings from the 1980's. I was quite the fashionista back in the 80's and had costume jewelry earrings to match every outfit I owned, then again the same went for high heeled shoes, handbags and belts, LOL! I had gotten rid of the shoes, belts and purses years ago. As I looked into this box and got a real blast from the past, and then threw it all out into the garbage! I didn't care to be reminded of how much of a yuppie I was back then.

Here's a question for you... Why do we hang on to the boxes that jewelry came in? You know, the little rectangular box that the jewelry store puts the purchase in and that your husband wraps up in pretty gift wrap before he gives it to you? I'm serious, why do we keep them? We never put the items back in it, we store it in a jewelry box right? I came across even more of those boxes yesterday, this was stuff my parents had given to me over the years (again this was stuff in the 80's box). In the end, I threw out everything that was in that box.

Little stuff can really add up and it takes up space just like big stuff. Go through your things and get rid of the items that you don't need or use, things that are doing nothing but taking up space in your home. This stuff lurks everywhere...underneath your bed, bathroom sink, in the linen closet, in the kitchen and even your coat closet! Check your garage, I'm sure that there's stuff there too! I know that there's stuff is for me waiting for me to go through it- it's too cold for me to go through it this week but it is on the list of things to go through.

I'm off to tidy up the house, get some laundry done and to make little appetizer desserts for tomorrows open house. I'm going to take pictures of my house and then I'll post them here with a link to the MLS. It could very well be that someone reading my blog can help us to find a buyer for our home :-)

2 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Wow,the move has started! Good luck with the purging. I could do with a good life laundry session myself. hmmm.

Sandie said...

I started purging stuff from my house for months (I started last September) I'm on the tail end of it all now. The next things to be donated are a few pieces of furniture and some appliances.