INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

my life...

I can't help but to love the comedic humor of the late George Carlin, he says it as it is and has a way of making us laugh at the humor that can be found in everyday situations.

When I saw the quote that I'm using today I had to laugh- it reminded me of my current situation, you know- the big move to the UK.

Trying to keep everything together, in order to maintain that order I need to have those around me listening to what I say, that's not always as easy as it would seem. From the Realtor, to the 3 different schools (the 2 here and the 1 in the UK), to my children and the people over at the moving company who will be packing up our entire household. Maybe if I had a beautifully embroidered robe and a really cool looking hat like the Pope I could pull it all off, but alas, all I've got is my pink velour bathrobe and numerous multicolored knitted ski hats and pink bunny slippers- not that it wouldn't have people looking at me, it's the way they would look at me (like I'm a lunatic). Yup that being the case, it's best for me to put on my game face and play ball! I'll say it openly-It's not going to be easy, but I CAN do this!

I finally got the school thing figured out, together with all of the misunderstandings on the UK school's side figured out and the transcripts being sent and deciphered and my kids put into the proper grades. That's one thing down and done, whew!

Next hurdle- convincing our son that this is not the end of world. I thought that we had gotten through to him, but alas...he is 16 and he will be moving the summer before his senior year. Him staying behind with a host family IS NOT an option. He's coming with us and that's final. The sooner that he accepts it the better off he will be. I do think that once he sees that there are other American students his age at our new base he'll start to feel better about things. Our daughter on the other hand is looking forward to the move and all of the opportunities that await her there. "This" in case you haven't noticed is the sucky part of a military move.

Besides my sons situation (which is breaking my heart) I've got to prepare my beloved kitty for transport to the UK- alone. There's going to be so much last minute stuff going on around here that it worries me that she'll get lost in the shuffle. So I'll be shipping her out before we leave, her kitty dad will meet her at the Airport and bring her home in her kitty mom's minivan.

Throughout all of this I've got to keep Hannah in focus and not let her get lost or feel forgotten. She too needs to be made to feel special. I try to do one on one things with her as much as possible. I feel the need to reassure her that she is loved and just because she's not causing a ruckus about the move doesn't mean that she doesn't matter to me.

The sale of my house has been a slow going process. I hope to hear something from the realtor that brought a couple here on Saturday. I do have an open house scheduled for this coming Sunday the 19th from 1-4 pm- I certainly hope that draws some interest. I know that my house will sell, it's the waiting that is making me slightly neurotic.

Here it is, with all of the crap I'm going through I do try to see the humor in it. One thing that's good about all of this, my house is really clean, LOL!


It's said that God doesn't give you more than you can handle- can someone send in a prayer to God letting him know that my plate is looking pretty full right now? I've tried this but his line seems to be busy right now.

With all of the things that are weighing on my mind and on my heart I find solace in being creative. Trying to keep my brain and my heart favorably occupied has been more of a challenge than anyone knows. It's from another quote that I draw from...Give yourself an even greater challenge than the one you are trying to master and you will develop the powers necessary to overcome the original difficulty."~ William Bennett

When I think of how much of a Steel Magnolia I'm going to have to be in the upcoming weeks ahead, I feel empowered. I know that I can do this, but I want to do it with grace and not come off as a bitch. With a heavy sigh I go on to get things done...wish me luck!

2 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Right behind you girl, you can do it and when you look back, you'll wonder why you worried. It's a lot of stuff, but it's what women do, stuff. WOuld Hannah like to chat online to an english teenager now and then? Happy to hook her up with my Jenny...she may hate the idea of a 'set-up'..or not! Meantime keep blogging; you aren't alone on this interweb thingy!

Sandie said...

Julia, you are an Angel! I'll mention your offer to my Hannah and see what she thinks.

Yesterday certinaly had it's rough patches and I'm feeling a bit better about things this afternoon, better yet I think that my son is too. I kept him home from school today 1- because he's had a sore throat for a week and 2-we have spent the day talking about "things". I think that I'm getting through to him and he knows that I'm not out to ruin his life...now on to our German lessons