INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fabric Distortion

The issues or problems that I'm having with my quilting project lay chiefly with fabric distortion. You see, I have 20 different red fabrics and 20 different off white fabrics cut into 3 inch squares and then sewn together in lengths of 20 squares each. Did I mention that they are all from different fabric manufacturers? And I wonder why I'm having problems, LOL! When you are working with so many different brands there are other things to consider...the biggest one being the thread count. Some fabrics are made with thicker threads and some are made with more threads and that's where the problems are (grrr). Knowing what the problems are or why I'm having them does not make me any more happy than I was a couple of hours ago but at least I know that it's not something that I did to cause myself this grief...okay so maybe it is my fault since I did buy the fabric. But seriously this is what the pattern called for and I followed it's directions but it never mentioned anything about the possibility of fabric distortion. And what ever you do- DON'T use a steam iron when pressing your seams! Believe it or not but using the steam setting while pressing your seams can make fabric distortion worse! I didn't do that (thank goodness or I'd be bald from pulling my hair out).

I'm going to have a little lunch and get back to my sewing and seam ripping. I may be done with this by tonight or worse case scenario tomorrow afternoon. Then it's on to the sandwiching and then the quilting process. I just might send this out to be professionally quilted, I'm still tossing that idea around in my head.

1 comment:

Hello, I'm Vicki said...

i can't wait to see your quilt when it's finished, i wish i had the patience to do things like that. enjoy lunch xxx