INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Explore your surroundings

One of the things "we" do we as in my family that this...we like to check out the area in which we live. To explore the famous and not so famous landmarks in the state and area in which we live- courtesy of the US Air Force. It's amazing how many people how have lived in just one state their entire lives and have never seen all or even any of it's attractions and tourist type places. I've seen this time and time again with the "locals" of every place we've ever lived. Every state has it's rich history, things that "it alone" is famous for, why not experience it first hand? This is where my scrapbooking comes into play- I take pictures of every place we've ever visited, I journal about it and make scrapbook pages about our trips. Sure I don't always post them on the internet but I have those memories preserved so we can look back and say "yes, we've been there and have the t-shirt(or scrapbook layout) to prove it", LOL!

So where am I going with this?...

Well let me tell you how it started... I've been seeing this HUGE billboard just before my exit from I-90, the one I take to get home when I'm in Rapid City- it's of "Sue" the T-Rex and how she is on exhibit in the of Faith, South Dakota. I had Hannah do a search for Faith and see how far away it is- there were 3 different ways to get there from here. I thought about taking a day trip with the kids to see Sue but didn't make any firm plans. I've got a true love of the prehistoric and dinosaurs, have since I was a little girl and I really wanted to see this exhibit. So while I was mulling over the idea of taking the kids up there was when my husband told me that the Corvette club was taking a "drive" up there, well I was all over that plan! You can read more about Sue at the Black Hills Travel Blog, apparently this was Sue's home (I did not know that until reading the travel blog) and we also get to see "Bucky" the teenage T-Rex- how seriously cool is that? I would like for everyone to explore the history in your own backyard. Take your family to see the sights to explore what it is your home town or state is famous for. Since gas prices are getting higher and flying these days days is such a hassle- why not pack up a picnic basket and drive somewhere and just have fun together as a family? And for those of you who know about Wilson the Travel Pig, I'll be bringing him along on the trip- look for pictures of Wilson and Sue in the next day or so.

No comments: