INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rotary Cutters- don't quilt without one!

After cutting two hundred 5x5 squares (yes I really cut 200 squares) I can say that if I didn't have a rotary cutter that I would not be quilting-period! I can not imagine cutting out so many squares without a rotary cutter. No wonder why I didn't get into quilting until now, I was terrified of all of the labor intensive work involved in cutting out the pieces. And yes I've even started sewing some of my squares together. I'm starting my Red, White, Beige and Blue aka "Americana' themed quilt for the day bed in our guest room/home office. This will be my largest quilting project to date, it's a twin size bed quilt. I hope that this one goes together quickly, I think that it will since I don't have to worry about nothing more than making sure that the points all meet up. Plus the "left over" pieces of fabric are going to make me a table runner, the pattern being Court House steps. I did pretty good on purchasing fabric, I bought a little here and a little there (the fabric came from 5 different stores) and I maybe spent $45 on everything- and I'm getting a twin size quilt AND a table runner too! Okay so it doesn't include the quilt batting or the backing for the table runner or the quilt regardless of all that, I think that I did pretty good when you consider that the cost of a kit to make just the table runner is $45 before shipping costs. I was able to pick and choose my own fabrics and I will have an original piece, not one that looks like it came from a mail order catalog.

I'm off to study the pattern directions for the table runner...you know me, I've always got to have more than one project going on at one time.

No comments: