INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Depth Perception

It's more than actual vision acuity, it's also about being able to see into a person, to figure out what is going on with them. As the saying goes - "There's always more than meets the eye" with anyone. How well do you really know your friends? Heck how well do you know your siblings, parents or any other close relative?I've always been one for having to figure out or make reason out of someones bizarre behaviour.
It's a common fact that "the holidays" tend to put an extra exertion on the stress levels of some but not all people. I find it interesting that for some (again not for all people) that it's easier to be mean to a sales clerk than to stand there and be patient. As I'm in Hobby Lobby yesterday purchasing a Christmas Tree (and a few other treasures) the register locked up (yes I seem to have developed a habit of that happening to me lately). My first sale transaction was rather slow going through the system, but hey it's the holiday shopping season, it'll be slow every where. So I'm waiting and cracking jokes with the salesperson who is trying desperately to figure out what is wrong with her computer terminal. After a few minutes the transaction goes through but the young woman is obviously stressed out- I look at her and say "relax, you've got an entire day ahead of you, if you let something so small and insignificant like this bother you then your entire day will be ruined and you'll be feeling miserable all day long. Let it go and smile, it's not your fault, it's something that is out of your control". I see this look of relief instantly wash over her face and the salesperson smiles and thanks me and lets me know that she wishes that there were more customers like me. Sure her complement made me feel good but I also wondered what else is going on for this woman to say that to me. I feel that our sales people are being abused by us, the holiday shopper. No wonder why there's such poor customer service is most places these days, it's because we (it's a general statement and does not truly mean all of us) go into shop and come with such a huge chip on our shoulder daring anyone to knock it off. Heaven forbid if the item is sold out, or we have to wait in longer than usual lines or worse, the computer terminal locks up during our sales transaction. We (again a general statement) are impatient and rude when it comes to waiting. Myself, I prefer to make light of having to wait in line...think of it this way- I'd rather be in line here than in line for a root canal. When in doubt, use your manners- be polite and treat others as you yourself would want to be treated- with kindness and respect.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

So true!!
I often feel like that when I'm shopping. EXCEPT when I have my 3 year old with me, that's why he stays home. :D

Gabrielle said...

I agree 110%!

We have a rule when shopping, if someone looks like they are having a bad day...say hello, give them a compliment on their hair, shirt, lipgloss....whatever. My girls LOVE to "find" the sales clerks that really need cheering up!

I sometimes wonder why so many shoppers feel they are above the wait, the lines, the rules, the standards...so sad!

Kimberly said...

Love your entry here. I think the sales staff are pressured to be quick by management and it is just a horrid circle. Everyone is always in a hurry. And if we all just slow down for a moment...we can accomplish the same task without the blood pressure rising! Enjoyed the read and ENJOY YOUR NEW ORNAMENT as well.

Sandie said...

Ladies- you have all given me such a big smile today :) It's so nice to know that others feel the same way. It takes more muscles in your face to frown that it does to smile. Taking that one extra little step to say hello and to give a simple compliment can be all that is needed to make someone have a wonderful day.