INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Being the Consumer Advocate that I am...

I'm a huge consumer advocate- always fighting for the rights of consumers. Lately I've come up against something that has me really miffed and I'm trying to resolve it- of course it's got to be on a weekend right before I leave for a little family vacation.

It seems that my sewing machine (the one I go on and on about)my Janome HT2008 has developed a little hiccup and needs to be checked out (It likes to continue to sew after I've taken my foot off of the pedal). I take it into the local The Sewing Center only to find out that they will not honor my warranty from Janome and want to charge me for parts and labor- excuse me, did I hear that right? My sewing machine is only 6 months old and you won't honor the 25 year warranty of a brand that your store sells??? Are you serious? Are you not a Janome dealership? Are you not a Janome authorized service center? I'm waiting to hear back from Janome and see what they have to stay on this issue. I went back to the store and brought the spouse with me this time (just in case the owner got snippy with me) and we picked up my machine and brought it back home. My husband is wonderful- he instantly suggests we take the sewing machine with us on vacation and find a store along the way that will honor the warranty. It's no wonder why I love this man so much!

Now this entire ordeal really has me peaved with our local sewing machine store- We've spent quite a bit of money with them in the past few months and now I'm treated like I've got the plague. This is not encouraging for those that have moved here from other parts of the country (military and civilian)- just because you bought your sewing machine in another state or part of South Dakota and not from this persons store store does not mean that he has the right to refuse to honor the warranty set by the manufacturer (if indeed his store an authorized Janome service center).

It's my humble opinion that the owner/manager of the place is a shyster and to take care when dealing with him. I've heard some stories for some local women about their dealings with him and to be honest- none of those stories cast him in a positive manner. Actually I've not heard one good thing about the guy. It's sad that we as consumers have to deal with business owners that are only out for themselves nor do they hold the interests of the consumers who shop with them at heart. I don't know if they realize it, but we are their source of income and there ARE other places to shop. When you live in a semi remote area, one where you ARE in the only big town around and the next larger metropolitan area is a good 7 to 8 hour drive away, well some store owners take on the attitude of "well, where the hell else are you going to shop? I've got the only store that sells this stuff for 150 miles so you have to buy from me regardless how high my prices are and how badly I treat you". I've got news for those kinds of store owners...the internet is an excellent place to shop! I'll be doing a lot more of MY shopping on the internet from now on!

Here's a shopping tidbit- Walmart sells the same Schmetz sewing machine needles but at HALF the price of what I've seen in the sewing machine and quilting stores! I'm not saying to buy everything at Walmart what I am saying is ...that by simply keeping your eyes open, you might be able to find a great deal on a consumable item or two. Heck even Hobby Lobby puts sewing machine needles on sale for 30% off which makes them an even better price! Be smart and shop around!

I'll be sure to post about the outcome from my conversation with Janome Headquarters and let you all know where I end up taking my sewing machine for servicing and if indeed it does get it's hiccup fixed.

No comments: