INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Monday, May 12, 2008

Fabric and Formaldehyde

Maybe it's a blessing or is it more of a curse but I'm an information junkie! When there's something I want to know more about I do some digging on the subject. Take my latest thing...a few weeks back I had heard that a lot of manufacturers of fabric use formaldehyde to fend off mildew occurring on the fabric, it's especially prevalent in manufacturers in Asian Countries that ship these fabrics to the US (nice huh?). I don't know how you feel about it but I think it's NASTY! I won't buy fabric that smells like it's been bathed in chemicals and neither should you!
In my search for more information I can across dozens of websites that mention formaldehyde usage in everything from cosmetics to toothpaste to fabric and even fabric softeners. I try to wash everything as soon as I get it home, but if I'm unable to get to it I then put it in a large clear container (with a lid) labeled unwashed fabric. The chemicals used to stiffen fabric can and often do flake off-causing skin irritation and breathing problems in the elderly, children and those with autoimmune issues. Here in my household we have enough skin irritation and breathing problems from allergies already so I do not feel the need to add to them. So I say wash wash wash that new fabric ASAP!

No comments: