INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Friday, May 30, 2008

1st week of summer vacation

School has been out for a week and it's officially 2 weeks since my foot surgery. I still have stitches in my foot (see post labeled "stitches"). I'm trying to keep my kids interested in keeping their minds (and bodies) busy. For my math genius daughter, it's an easy task for me- I'm having her adapt sewing patterns to larger sizes, I'm working on color theory with her (I still find it hard to believe that this does not come natural to most people). Hannah did great at the quilt shop the other day. She's picked out a pattern from the "Quilts and Totes" book and her assignment was to pick out fabric and ALL of the notions that coordinated with her fabric choices. Since the fabric used in the book was black, red and white plaid and toile in the colors of black & white - I knew that Hannah would never go for it, LOL! I was surprised to see her main print for the project- it's a rather large paisley design, lovely colors but it being paisley kind of surprised me. It totally takes me back to when I was her age, paisleys were very popular in the 1970's and my mom was totally crazy in love with paisley prints and since she was the "seamstress" in the house, needless to say my sister and I wore a lot of paisley.

So to go on... I had Hannah find 2 other colors in her first fabric choice to play off of. I was curious to see what she chose, she came back with a lovely pink on pink print that had a feather motif to it and a charming green on green that was a medium sized to large size rose with vine pattern to it- utterly charming! She had to hunt down all of the notions- which took us to 2 different stores. By then she was truly getting excited about her project and she wanted very much to get working on her project ASAP. The fabric has been washed and prepped and it ready to be cut :-) So much for keeping Hannah interested, now for me to work some more on Andrew...wish me luck!

No comments: