INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

I love Mother's Day- it's a day that's devoted to the one person who does it all...dear ole Mom! And speaking of Mom, both my mom and my m-i-l received their Mother's Day gifts yesterday. I have to say it, I'm impressed with the USPS, I was wondering if the packages would get to them in time and they did- hats off to the United Postal Service!

Yesterday was a total BLAST! The Trunk show (a grown-up version of Show and Tell) at the quilt store was awesome! The talented group of women with whom I had the pleasure to sit amongst was simply amazing! Each of the ladies was so talented and they gladly tell you how they made it or what pattern they used. The one woman who totally designed her quilt stunned us all. It's designed to be a wall hanging for her brother and it had us all with our mouths wide open, LOL! My favorite (and I'm such a flower person) was the one wall hanging quilt with the bluebird and the hollyhocks. I could actually see that one hanging in my home. Then came mine turn for "Show and Tell". Joan (the shop owner) had me stand up and introduce myself to the group, I told them who I am that my husband was stationed at the base and that I'm a total newbie to quilting and that I've not been quilting for very long- just 2 months. Meanwhile Joan and Anne were holding up my Chocolate Dreams quilt top (that I had just finished the night before).
(insert picture here)
Then one of the ladies in the crowd asked "how long did you say you've been quilting?" I replied "2 months" then Joan replies "Sandie is an enthusiastic over achiever she says she new to quilting but she's a very fast learner". I honestly felt myself blush. Here I am sitting amongst all of these VERY talented quilters and me a newcomer to this craft and I'm blushing because I've been given words of praise by someone so much more accomplished than myself. Another quilter who totally wowed me (and the entire crowd) was the lady who designed and made these two gorgeous quilted handbags from batik fabrics. Several of the ladies wanted to know where they could get the pattern then the woman admits to "copying" her favorite purse. She took her old purse and traced it out piece by piece and recreated it into a lovely handbag, Again many of us could be seen with mouths hanging wide open and having a very amazed look on our faces, those handbags were beautiful to say the least!

After the trunk show I do some errands and I felt the urge to stop by the sewing center to pick up some thread...serger thread. I did it and I swear within the hour of getting home there was a knock upon my front door and there they were, 2 boxes each with a little sewing machine inside. I honestly thought that they wouldn't get here until Monday or Tuesday. Hannah and I played on our sewing machines all afternoon and into the evening:-)

1 comment:

Susan said...

Happy mom's day to you too! BUT, where are the pics you sent me this morning at what normally is ODARKTHIRTY!?!?!? (the sun unfortunately is up at that hour this time of year!) Fortunately, I did roll back over and sleep another 2 hours, but I can't tell what type car it is. And did you lose the van? And so many questions, so little time...