INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sewing Thread

So much going on today...there's the Mother's Day Tea and Trunk Show over at The Quilt Connection, I'm going to participate. Hey there's a 25% all purchases today today for participating so what the heck I'm up for it!

One thing I did learn about with my "sewing machine" event was about thread...Robinson-Anton thread. I had never heard of that brand before that day. I went to The Sewing Center yesterday as I had some sewing machine questions, while there we talked about thread. The sales woman who was extremely helpful gave me insight about the various thread brands...WOW was she ever EXTREEMLY helpful! I can honestly say that I've not got that much information on thread from any of the quilting shops. While talking with the sales woman at the sewing machine store I found out why some of my squares and rectangles are "off" when I'm sewing them into quilting squares even though I measured them and they were the same size...all because of the "type of thread" I was using while putting it together. I don't think that I would have been able to figure that one out on my own. It's amazing how much one little thing like using the wrong weight of thread can have such an adverse effect on a project. I've corrected that problem and now I'm hopefully off to better sewing :-) So now that leaves me with another question- why don't the Quilt Shops talk to beginners about things like "Thread"? I know that I would have been hanging on every word and taking tons of notes! So now I know that there IS a big difference in the level of quality from brand to brand. That there are some brand that you use to sew you quilt blocks together, others for the actual quilting process and yet another type for when you do "hand quilting". That's a lot of information that would have been be nice to know about when I first started this journey. But with all of that said and done, it's like any other craft- there are things that just have to be learned along the way.

No comments: