INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Monday, May 26, 2008

Real Sewing Rooms

I've been searching the internet for pictures of "sewing rooms, sewing studios, quilting studios, and quilting corners". I've come across some great links here's one from A Prairie Home Quilts and another link from Real Sewing Rooms. These two sites have done an excellent job at putting together oodles of links to various sewing rooms across the USA and even in some other countries, please check them out. But I'll tell ya right now, some of the links are nice and give good storage and organizational ideas and others will freak you out at how someone could ever work in such a huge disorganized mess let alone film and or take pictures of it and put it on the internet for everyone to see. There it is, my honest opinion- for whatever it's worth.

Some women (sorry the links I saw did not have any male quilters) have amassed huge quantities of fabric. I see this sort of thing with scrapbookers- having collected more product than they could every use in 3 lifetimes. I thought that I had a pretty healthy little stash and have no desire to purchase so much that I have to have an entire 14x14 room in which to house it all. Now maybe if I was doing some professional sewing ...maybe I could see myself with a bit more But much of this was just so overwhelming. Walls covered in spools of thread were pretty but how much can you use? I saw one room where the woman stored her fat quarters in dresser drawers (which is a great idea), she mentioned that one drawer held 250 fat quarters, then her next picture showed more drawers and she mentions that she has 8 drawers stuffed with fat quarters...that's 2000 fat quarters. Which leaves me with the though of "How many do you really need"? Fat Quarters sell for an average price of $2.50 making her fat quarter stash valued at $5,000. I wonder if she has an insurance rider for all of her fabric. Which makes me think that none of these ladies has thought to add in the value of the fabric or sewing machines to their insurance policies. That right there would be the first thing I did!

I don't mean to insult anyone but seriously is collecting product what it's all about? It's making me think about the way scrapbookers are always having to have the latest tools, papers and embellishments and not really doing much with it but saving it for that "special layout". IS that what some of these ladies are doing? Saving the fabric for that "special quilt"? Or is it about impressing others with their "stash"? I've seen that a lot in scrapbooking too- it's all about showing off what you've got. I'm not envious of any persons amassed stash of product, what impresses me is seeing it being used to create something from the heart.

No comments: