INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Thursday, May 22, 2008

making your own clothes

I can honestly say that the last time I made myself any type of apparel was when we were stationed in Virginia. I made dresses for me and Hannah for Mother's Day (I don't remember which year it was). Since then I've made oodles of other things such as window treatments, kids Halloween costumes, obviously some quilting projects but as for clothing I've not done much. I recently bought some pattern books and plan to teach Hannah how to sew- she will be making pajama pants, I on the other hand will be making a skirt, one for myself and one for my daughter.

For the most part I think that making ones own clothing is something that is falling by the wayside. It's actually less expensive to buy ready made clothing- the downside is that you usually have to wait for a clearance sale and cross your fingers and hope for something decent looking to be available in your size. The up side to making ones own clothing is that you're actually making something you want style wise in a fabric that YOU personally picked out- not something that you "settled" upon. I have some great fabric that I bought for quilting, but once I washed, dried and ironed it I found it to be too light weight for quilting but thought to myself that it would be great fabric to make a skirt out of :-) So here I am setting myself up with another fun sewing project!

No comments: